The Necessary Evil
Midst of another hectic Monday afternoon in the office, my phone vibrating like mad on my desk was not something unusual. Especially after last weeks' emergency client meeting, there were quite a few things that needed to be updated and reconfirmed with the rest of the party. I assumed it was one of the contractor's team as they had been calling and emailing non stop since before the weekend even started, and possibly wanting to know if the weekly meeting still proceeds despite the halt.
Imagine my surprise to hear back from a role I had applied for over four months ago...
Wow. Four months. Really?
I didn't even realize so much time has passed since I landed back here in the tropics.Writing it down makes it suddenly very real.
Back in December, I wasn't even sure if I'd stick around longer than February. I had been looking around for jobs but I was also still very much in holiday mode and had just rejoined my ex-research mates along with my masters supervisor at the International conference in USM, presenting our papers from the previous year. I remembered this role distinctively because I had to submit hand sketches examples (lucky I was in in mood for a lot of sketching while touring the heritage sites with my kid sister) scanned in along with five page of questionnaires 500 word essay of 'why and how I can make changes to the world'.
It was good exercise, if nothing else.
I needed to reconnect myself somehow after my post graduate thesis and I had always enjoyed sketching.Also I had assumed it was a long shot since I have no prior experience in heritage works anyway, so when I didn't hear anything back, it was all good.
Fast forward to mid April, I am now entering the third and final month of probational period for my role as team member of a multi million dollar corporate project and coordinating a team for construction. I am swamped in my brains but I can't complain, because... it's not all bad. Despite the traffic jams and hours of meetings, I still get to go to gym, go for weekends away and even my colleagues are awesome to hang out in/out of work. I don't get to meet people outside construction though because it's all I do. Granted hiccups with some consultants and contractors, add minus internal disagreements but hey, that's just normal stuff.
Life is never without challenges right?
Imagine my surprise to hear back from a role I had applied for over four months ago...
Wow. Four months. Really?
I didn't even realize so much time has passed since I landed back here in the tropics.Writing it down makes it suddenly very real.
Back in December, I wasn't even sure if I'd stick around longer than February. I had been looking around for jobs but I was also still very much in holiday mode and had just rejoined my ex-research mates along with my masters supervisor at the International conference in USM, presenting our papers from the previous year. I remembered this role distinctively because I had to submit hand sketches examples (lucky I was in in mood for a lot of sketching while touring the heritage sites with my kid sister) scanned in along with five page of questionnaires 500 word essay of 'why and how I can make changes to the world'.
It was good exercise, if nothing else.
I needed to reconnect myself somehow after my post graduate thesis and I had always enjoyed sketching.Also I had assumed it was a long shot since I have no prior experience in heritage works anyway, so when I didn't hear anything back, it was all good.
Fast forward to mid April, I am now entering the third and final month of probational period for my role as team member of a multi million dollar corporate project and coordinating a team for construction. I am swamped in my brains but I can't complain, because... it's not all bad. Despite the traffic jams and hours of meetings, I still get to go to gym, go for weekends away and even my colleagues are awesome to hang out in/out of work. I don't get to meet people outside construction though because it's all I do. Granted hiccups with some consultants and contractors, add minus internal disagreements but hey, that's just normal stuff.
Life is never without challenges right?
"Are you still interested? We are setting up a full day interview if you are," says the girl on the other end of the line, reminding me of her presence. She proceeded on giving the time and date they were expecting me while I mulled the possibility for me to apply for yet another leave in the same week I was going away overseas for another academic conference. Somehow I don't picture my boss to be pleased knowing I have yet to make up my mind to whether to stay on or move along.
Not when his one special project is riding on me for the moment!
Ahhhhh...tricky!
It was a lot less evil than my current role for encouraging consumerism and profit marketing!
I would say I am rather in a pickle.I love that I feel that I can work, and work and work... forever.(Okay maybe not forever...but enough to sustain me for at least till next year...?) I suppose after months of part-time work back in a land that had my heart and then tore it, the possibility of being part-time again gives me chills.
On the other hand, I'd be doing something I hope to contribute back to the community. and 9 to 5 hours.
Thats the ultimate dream isn't it?
Pray all be well.
Not when his one special project is riding on me for the moment!
Ahhhhh...tricky!
Word like UNESCO.World Heritage. Preserving history were all popping in my head.
Specified for Georgetown, but still, its a World Heritage Site. Of course I was interested.It was a lot less evil than my current role for encouraging consumerism and profit marketing!
I would say I am rather in a pickle.I love that I feel that I can work, and work and work... forever.(Okay maybe not forever...but enough to sustain me for at least till next year...?) I suppose after months of part-time work back in a land that had my heart and then tore it, the possibility of being part-time again gives me chills.
On the other hand, I'd be doing something I hope to contribute back to the community. and 9 to 5 hours.
Thats the ultimate dream isn't it?
Pray all be well.
Comments